Thursday, January 24, 2013

DIY // Elementary Kid Inspired Valentines



Today it finally snowed!  I was beginning to worry that we wouldn’t get any snow here at all this winter, but I woke up this morning to a cold room filled with soft light from the window.  My inner-kid immediately recognized the signs of snow and I pulled back the curtain for a quick glance at the white covered back yard before going back to sleep.

It’s funny how that child-like wonder of snow has stuck with me, even as an adult.  Winter was always an exciting time of year filled with holiday parties in class and hopes of school cancellations.  The feeling stayed with me throughout the day and got me thinking about another favorite thing about winter that’s coming up: Valentine’s Day.


Do you remember the little valentines you have to fold in half that come in the cardboard boxes?  I loved those things when I was little.  They always come in designs of cute cartoons.  In school we would make little ‘mail boxes’ from paper bags to tape to our desks.  Did anyone else do that?  On Valentine’s Day we would have a small party where everyone would deliver cards into the mail boxes.  At the end of the day they would be filled with lots of little cardboard valentines.


 Feeling nostalgic, I decided to make some of my own.  All you need are index cards and whatever supplies you would like for decorating.  Fold the index cards in half, then have fun decorating them inside and out.  This is a great project to do with kids, or you can make them for your friends and family to smile back on those childhood days.

Recommended Supplies:

3” x 5” assorted color index cards
deco and washi tapes
die cut hearts
glue stick
bone folder (for scoring the folded card)
rubber stamps
scrap papers and magazines
kid safe scissors
assorted stickers

2 comments:

Marian said...

This is a cool idea. I really like how yours turned out. :)

Lauren said...

Thank you. I'm glad they turned out the way I pictured them in my head!

Post a Comment

Get in on the conversation!